A ketogenic diet is a very low carbohydrate diet. In this about 75% calories come from fat, 25% from proteins and 5 % from carbs are present in the diet plan. A keto diet is simply a method to make your body to lose weight by following a keto diet plan. It is a state where body burns fats for fuel instead of carbs which leads to rapid loss of weight.
Carbohydrates are important as they are transformed into glucose after the digestion. Glucose is the simplest form of food. Our body is said to observe glucose more instantly and provide quick energy. But the glucose is not an absolute form of food. Food has many more elements or the components which when eaten in conjunction provide us with the required energy.
The food items like junk food, sugary food, starchy food provides us energy but not as instant as glucose does. These food items contain starch which is called as complex form of glucose itself. These are called carbohydrates. These are broken down into Glucose and is absorbed at slower rate. When there is a lack of glucose or the glucose level is lower in the body, the body breaks down the stored fats and generate another type of molecule called ketone bodies.
These ketone bodies can further be used to give rise to energy which is in the form of ATP. When there is an accumulation of ketone in the body, this is referred to as ketosis. A large amount of ketone bodies can prove to be very fatal. So, it is very important to maintain the ketone bodies at a non- toxic level. Keto diet plan with regular yoga training proves to be very helpful for human health.
So, what are the food items that we can eat in a keto diet?
Food items with high fat content such as avocados, bacon, butter, cheese, egg yolk etc.
Fish, meat, egg white and poultry products are the example of food items with moderate number of proteins amount. These are considered as a staple food in a keto diet.
Bread, cereals, rice, potatoes and other starchy vegetables contain a large amount of carbohydrates which are not advised. Instead, food with low amount of low carb like vegetables, tomatoes, green leaves, seafood, broccoli and mushrooms can be taken.
What are the benefits of ketogenic diet?
The effects of ketogenic diet are given below-
- The ketogenic diet is used to be estimated to have a great effect for cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome and acne.
- Doctors and scientists are still conducting researches to find its benefits and its effective mechanisms.
- The low-carb ketogenic meals reduce the insulin levels in the body. As insulin is called as a growth stimulating hormone, its absence can result in slowing down cancer, polycystic ovarian syndrome and acne breakouts.
- If an individual switch to fat rich ketogenic diet, it is found that bad cholesterol levels were lowered and good cholesterol levels were increased. This is due to the low level is insulin in the blood.
- Ketogenic diet is also effective against the ischemic heart diseases and stroke.
- One of the main benefits of keto diet is the mechanism of weight loss. The ketogenic diet is achieving more popularity, due to its potential of weight loss. It is believed that the keto with high amount of fats and proteins in the diet satisfy the appetite faster making one to avoid over eating. This helps in reduction of weight. Regular yoga training simultaneously is considered very useful which helps in weight loss.
Effects of ketogenic diet on human health-
Ketogenic diet causes various health problem like-
- The most dangerous health problem of keto diet is Keto-acidosis. The High amount of ketone bodies in people with type 1 diabetes is considered as most fatal. They are at high risk of getting this health problem. Therefore, it is always advised to consult the physician before you start a ketogenic diet.
- The high fat intake may lead to cause various symptoms like carbohydrate restrictions like irritability, constipation, headache, hunger, fatigue and brain fog.
- There is an increase to risk of developing Osteoporosis and Renal stones as a long-term side effect.
- Ketogenic diet may be beneficial for weight loss but these may also have some severe side effects also.
It is advised to use ketogenic diet after the consult of a physician or a dietician. It is very important to have medical supervision with close monitoring of blood ketone bodies, so as to make sure that these ketone bodies do not reach to their high levels and they are not causing any risk to the health. Once the target of weight loss is achieved, then one may get back to a balanced diet.